Welcome to another edition of Kernels From the Cornfield – No Husks, No Hulls, No Shucks!
News with a dash of commentary to spice up your fare for Monday, July 4th, 2016.
1. State of the Race – Rumor has it that no charges will be filed against presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton over her use of a private email server while Secretary of State.
Questions and accusations swirl that the fix is in following a meeting last week on the plane of Attorney General Loretta Lynch and former President and husband Bill Clinton having a conversation on the tarmac in Phoenix, Arizona.
While Hillary supporters see this as exoneration, Hillary opponents see this as the Clintons manipulating the system and getting away with a crime again.
Clinton was grilled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation Saturday for 3 1/2 hours. Then came the leak from the FBI that it is unlikely any charges will be filed against Queen Hillary.
Meanwhile across the aisle presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is under fire for a tweet which included a Star of David and being perceive as anti-Semitic.
Trump is being blasted for promoting the idea of anti-Semitism though supporters keep pointing out it was not the symbol of the State of Israel, but a sheriff’s star or plain star. Supporters point out that Trump’s own daughter Ivanka, son-in-law and grandchildren are Jewish.
Compounding the issue, a Neo-Nazi group is praising Trump for the tweet, referring to The Donald as “glorious leader.“
Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson says that Trump’s statements and the tweet are racist.
Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein appeared for the third time on CNN Sunday talking with Brian Stelter on Reliable Sources.
Independent Party presidential nominee Roseanne Barr is trying again for the White House, making her the third woman this year running for President.
Some are suggesting the perfect pick to be Vice President with Queen Hillary would be incumbent Vice President Joe Biden.
The Donald added fuel to the Veep speculation today tweeting out about meeting with Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Indiana Governor Mike Pence and an upcoming meeting today with Iowa Senator Joni Ernst.
Bernie Sanders has yet to concede to his Democratic rival.
But is Uncle Bernie’s hopes dashed if the FBI does not ask for an indictment against Clinton?
2. Terror in Baghdad – Over 200 people were killed by a truck loaded with explosives was detonated in the heart of the capitol of Iraq Sunday in the third attack in diverse countries claimed by the Islamic State in a week.
Sunday’s blast in Baghdad is the most deadly since 2003.
The attack in Dhaka, Bangladesh is believed to have been carried out by homegrown terrorists inspired by the caliphate. The attacks in Istanbul, Turkey and Baghdad were planned and directed by ISIS command.
A suicide bomber blew himself and his car up outside the American Consulate in Saudi Arabia today. No one, but the bomber was killed or injured.
As people celebrate Independence Day across the US of A, the nation is on high alert in the event that America could suffer the fate of Turkey, Bangladesh and Turkey.
3. Homemade Firework – It was not terrorist related, say police in New York City after a climber stepped on something while rock climbing in Central Park on Sunday.
What it was was a homemade firework.
At a briefing Sunday afternoon, NYPD Deputy Chief John O’Connell said the blast “could have been an experiment with fireworks or homemade explosives.” A few hours later, police spokesman J. Peter Donald tweeted, “what caused the explosion was likely homemade fireworks or something similar.“
4. Jupiter in View – Late tonight a NASA-launched spacecraft will move into orbit around Jupiter.
The giant planet is considered to be the first created in the solar system.
5. Heat Returns – A cool 4th of July will give way to a return of hot days and muggy nights this week.
6. Fear Run Amok – Did you hear about the desk clerk at an Ohio motel going crazy because a guest from the United Arab Emirate was dressed in his traditional garb and was talking on his cell phone?
The woman called police saying the guest was pledging allegiance to the Islamic State.
Police came in and took the guest into custody. The guest passed out since he was in the US to receive medical treatment.
Because of the incident the UAE Saturday advised its citizens not to wear traditional clothing while out of the country.
The desk clerk had no reason other than her own fear to believe the guest was a threat.
7. By the Numbers – So how do Americans celebrate their independence?
There are hot dogs, fireworks, parades.
8. The Spirit of ’76 – To get you ready for tonight’s Independence Day fireworks, check out this video I made last year in the Desert of “Rockets Over the River”.
9. Get Your Ticket – Mega Millions jackpot for Tuesday night’s drawing is nearing $450 million.
Well, here goes my dollar! LOL
10. Happy Birthday, USA! – This is Independence Day.
The US of A is 240 years old today.
Read my salute to our homeland: Happy Birthday, US of A!
That’s what caught my attention this Monday, July 4th, 2016.
Tune in tomorrow for another edition of Kernels From The Cornfield.
I am Mark Ivy